Thursday, June 29, 2006

Some music grows on you...

After learning classical music for several years and having a tolerable level of singing experience, I still don't understand some things about semi-classical music and film music. There are some songs which impress you the first time you listen to them and makes you want to listen to them over and over. Then, there are these songs which have to grow on you. I didn't realize this until I started college.

Until college, there were just two categories of music - ones which I like and ones which I didn't. Then, once my best friend from school who shares my passion for singing and music in all respects, gave me a cassette. I don't remember the name of the movie or the songs. The first time I heard it, the songs were not that good. I returned the cassette to her saying I just did not like it. She suggested that I keep it for a week and maybe I will like it the next time I hear it. I didn't believe her then but took the cassette anyways. The second time around, the songs were tolerable and thereafter I actually liked it...the songs kinda grew on me and I started humming them...

There was this movie Saaz which came out in late 1990's with Zakir Hussain's music. The movie didn't go well and was probably a big flop (or maybe wasn't even released). But a couple of songs were good. Atleast good and refreshing at that time..and the lyrics are good too (especially considering the story line) - Raat Dhalne Lagi and Kya Tumne Yeh.

This came at the time when I was a major Hussain fan and after Soundscape series for Wind, Water, Earth, Fire, Valley, Desert, etc. were released. Looking back, it was a weird phase since all of them were instrumental music and it took me a lot of time and energy to understand, appreciate and enjoy them. But, eventually it grew on me. :-)

5 comments:

Aravindan said...

the music is not growing on u....u r growing up in music :P

i call them mystic songs, they dont instantly crack u..but slowly u get addicted to them..and i bet u wd probably end up listening to them more than other songs which instantly crack u..this is a big topic, blog is not enough to discuss....

Zeppelin said...

mostly true for me... but in case i dont like a song when i first listen to it..more often than not, i wont like it even if i listen more and more.. but if something is passable, yeah likeability chances are decent.. :D

will have to listen to those songs sometime..

cheers!

Taruna said...

@Localhost

Thanx!!yes, well done by KK..

@Ara
'Mystic Songs' ....ennamo solra.... added to the pending list (of discussions)

@Zepp
Right.. there do exist songs which you will hate forever, not just the first time...

Let me know what you think of Saaz songs..:-)

Zeppelin said...

yo! listened to the two songs you have mentioned on your post... pretty good..but like you said they are probably "growers"... not mighty impressed after listening to it once.. :)

will go at the whole lot of songs from Saaz sometime..

Taruna said...

@Zep
When I hrd it for a couple of times back in 90's I was mighty impressed.... but not sure if I would have liked it the same if I hear it now for the first time...

The other songs in the movie not that good.. so, you are at your own risk.. :-)