Monday, June 26, 2006

The guy who pushed me from the swings...

I am an avid swinger...does that word even exist? Anyhow, I like swings. Whenever I used to go to the beach or Woodlands Drive (Cathedral Rd - they used to have a playground...), I never even went near any of the other play things..swings were IT... once I got on one, I never got down until it was time to leave the playground..

So, one Saturday (Class 3rd or 4th) when I was waiting in the school playground (Some Saturday's my father used to have day-off's and so would pick me up from school).. the swing got vacant and so I started to swing..to and fro I go higher and higher until suddenly..thud... I fell down.. I enter an oblivious state of bliss when on swings and so didnt actually realize my name being called or a classmate calling me to get off the swing so that he could get on it... so, he just pushed me down.... :-( ... I broke a couple of milk tooth and had hit a stone..so my jaw was bleeding and needed stitches...my dad came in right at that moment, took me to the hospital and things got better.... but after that, they removed the swings in my school considering it to be harmful...although I had morbid hatred against the boy (his face etched in my memory forever), I let it go ... and boys were allowed in my school only till Class 5 and so he was in my class for less than an year or so..

This year, during my annual pilgrimage to Chennai, more than once I got stuck in TNagar/Pondy Bazaar traffic; And being overly precautious, I always wear helmets if in my bike. So, trying to slither in the traffic, between two cars...one with an open window and other without..traffic was really stuck..so, the conversations in the open windowed car was just audible..arguement between a couple...I recognized the guy... It was the same guy who pushed me ..Balachander...I recognized him in a jiffy even after 14-16 yrs...so, I opened the visor of my helmet hoping to see if he would turn and recognize me... recognition flickered in the eyes of the girl in the car... his wife, my school junior... :-)... so, we pulled over and started talking... she introduced me to her husband who never even recognized me... :-(.. after introductions.... I turned to him and asked 'So, do u still like to swing' and his wife got all scared for a second... She went like 'Akka (I was her senior by two yrs n school, that demands a little respect,doesn't it) how did u know abt his fascination for swings'..... Then, finally it stuck him and he remembered (how even after pushing me from the swings 15 yrs back, he was smiling happily and continued swinging). He apologized and we all had a good laugh...

But strange is the way of universe... so many people you know in a lifetime.. who knows when or how you will meet them next...

7 comments:

dinesh said...

You're right, strange is the way of the universe. Some memories get etched in our brain/heart. I've recognized a few faces from a long time back as well, and it makes me so happy when I can do that..

Seemed like a freak occurence that you could recognize him. Even stragner was the fact that he recognized you back ! Wow !

Taruna said...

@Dinesh
Yeah, strange and stranger indeed... yes, it would have been a little embarrasing if he hadnt remembered at all...

Aravindan said...

recently 2 8th std frnds found me from orkut. they remembered me for the scoldings i got in class and when a teacher pasted tape on my mouth for talking too much..lol! u sure remember someone much more easily for the wrong reasons..:)

Zeppelin said...

and i wonder why you did not kick that fellas ass when he pushed you down.. cos thats what i did when i was man-handled on the way down on a slide..:)

not in the present..but right after it happened.. in 3/4/5 th grade sometime...:)

Taruna said...

@Ara
:-)) ... she literally pasted tape? you tell me this and then argue that I shld call you a 'nalla payyan'..... yeah, its easier to recognise a foe than a friend?

@Zepp
Good 'adakkamana' girls dont do that...

Illa... I was bleeding with a badly scraped jaw and several loose tooth and so probably didnt have the energy to beat the crap out of him.....and he was a bulky person and I wouldnt have lasted more than a few seconds...:-)

Zeppelin said...

"adakkamana" ponnu... ahem.. ok, whatever you say.. :P

Taruna said...

@Zep
Enna panrathu... naana 'unmaiya' sollikka vendi irukku...