Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Surname Summary..

Everytime I have to give my last name over phone like for airline or hotel reservations, I go thro' a nightmare. With the number of vowels in my last name, people sometimes think I am actually making it up.

Like today, I was trying to fix an appointment with the insurance lady (my company switched insurance provider and all of us had to meet personally with this lady). I gave her a part of my last name while fixing up the appointment. When I actually went to her office, she wanted to verify my ID and all that since I had more letters to the last name that I had originally given over phone. That was usual and so I didn't make a big deal out of it. Then, we went about doing some paper work. At the end of the session, she asked me "Have you ever considered switching your last name". I thought she was kidding and started laughing. Then, looked at her face and realized she was serious. I asked her what she meant. She goes "A lot of international people take up easier last names when they come to US. Maybe you could shorten yours". I was furious at her for even suggesting it. I said "Its my dad's name and I would never give it up". She went "Oh, I am merely suggesting. It will be easier for all paperwork. But one advantage is - with such a last name, you would probably never be a victim of identity theft". That did make me smile! The crook would probably give up after the first few letters!

11 comments:

Aravindan said...

haha..first few mails, i had a real problem typing ur mail id
(the one with ur "full" name..)

mine is reverse..my father name can stay put, but maybe i wd have been asked to change my name itself :))

Anonymous said...

Ah..
I introduce myself as pablo to "not so important people",rather than letting them ask for a repetition.And my last name, with the flow of vowels in it..I start with E as in edward,blah blah..

Zeppelin said...

Arunkumar Chandrasekaran became Arun Sekar because my names (first,last) wouldnt fit on the ID badge. :) The security person realized that after she made it and then sheepishly asked me to suggest an "alternate" version..

and I also became Arunkumar Sekaran on of my credit cards for the same reason.. :)

Taruna said...

@Ara
Shorten ur name to Ara Krishnan.. :-))

@Dinesh
Just that there is no proper way to shorten my last name.. the whole name.... :-(

I dont know.. but for some reason I am always scare of the legality of such stuff!! Already visa is a big deal.. athulla, intha confusion ethukku-nnu nenaippen..

@Prabhu
:-)) pablo?? LOL!!

Yea.. thats how I say it too.. but the person who listens to it kinda loses interest half way thro'!!

Taruna said...

@Zep
So, when they run a credit check or security check, its probably going to come up in different records with different names?? With so many alias names, you are probably going to raise a red flag in the national security!! LOL!!

Prabhu said...

cha, unga blog comment-la kooda identity theft vanthaachu, may be i shud have a different sign-in name...

unga last name enna? ananthapadmanabhan-aa?

vichchoobhai said...

Hi Taruna, Amidst all this hullabaloo u have not mentioned what exactly your surname is. I tried your profile but it wouldnt open up. So i am just curious. A surname that could launch a thousand ships sorry slips!
It is the fashion these days to
add extra vowels to one's name in the entertainment industry. Ekta kapoor becomes Ektaa Kapooor and the TRP ratings of her television serials goes up to 15. An actor out of job adds an extra vowel or two and lands a plum role. But u seem to be falling a prey to the american fad of short and sweet last names. Say Satan,get the behind me and stick to the original. It came with your birth and so it stays. Let the americans do the tongue twisting; good for their maxillary muscles.Look at my name how long and vowelly, reminds u of a scorpion bite. Never mind, my blog is antivenin it is an antidote for poison.

Anonymous said...

OH! do tell us your last name! :)

Aravindan said...

hey looks like u r kalakifying, nadathu ;)

Taruna said...

@Prabhu
Yeah.... engellam identity theft-nnu identify pannavey mudiyala!!
Illa.. Ananthapadmanabhan illa..
:-)

@Vich
I dont think my name even comes up in the profile. It just says Taruna, I think!!

@Sriram
Whats in a name... its just like any other South Indian last name that cannot be easily pronounced..

Taruna said...

@Ara
Just trying man...