Monday, August 07, 2006

The little girl..

I flew to San Francisco last week. Flying in from Midwest seemed to be not so much as an ordeal. Especially considering the variety of entertainment that I had onboard the aircraft. It was almost like the long haul flights to India - people struggling to get the exit row seats, babies screaming during take off, landing and at intermittent intervals, parents giving that apologetic smile to neighbor's for their kids, trying-to-remain serene and smiling airhostess, etc.

One thing which happened had me smiling. My neighbor was a European on her first trip to SF with her 5-yr old curious, pondering daughter, who was scared of window seats. The lady introduced herself and was conversing pleasantly with me. After a couple of hours of flying, the kid got bored and started walking around. So, the lady was trying to keep up with the kid. Then, she took the kid to the pantry and started explaining what was where, how first class is separated, etc.

It was then, that I remembered. I didn't remember the actual happening. But I remember my parents telling me about it. I was probably around 3 when I took my first long distance train trip - from Chennai to Calcutta. It was probably 3 days onboard the train and so my parents had prepared long and hard for it - to keep me entertained for days and nights on the train, prepared all necessary food and other things. Anyhow, after the first day, it seems I got really pesky and started going around. So, my dad started to take me to different coupes and showing me the different coaches etc. When the train stopped at some junction (stopped for a long time), it seems we walked and ended up near the engine. Then, my father got into it with me and started showing me the engine and I playfully started getting my hands dirty playing with coal and stuff. When the engine driver and others got onboard again, they were taken aback to see a kid amongst them and the dad explaining to the kid how things work, how they throw that ring at every station, etc. Being an old guy with a bunch of kids himself, he started explaining some intricacies in kid terms.. The train started and we were still in the engine with the train guys. My mom back in the coach started to get worried since we had stayed away for about 2 hrs then. So, she was looking out the window and wondering what to do, etc. Ofcourse she knew I was safe since my dad was there with me. But we could not do anything until the train stopped the next time. So, when the train stopped in the next station after about 45 min, we rushed back to the coach where my mom was and she was so relieved to see us, a bit darkened with the coal effect, but basically safe!

I so want to be that little girl with her parent, being taken around - no responsibility, no worry, no troubles, no work, no decision making, relaxed all the time, maybe play with friends, eat whatever without worrying about calories (not that I am a health freak, but you know just to be a little precautious; after all a girl has to do what she has to do!!), no taxes and bills, sing a lot or make a lot of noises without caring for others, hmmmm......

4 comments:

Sriram said...

Hmm.. and to think I was crazy about engines.. well, you had your dad for company and as for me, my dad had 4 folks for company trying to find out where the hell i had snooped off to and there I was in the engine along with the driver, asking him a bunch of questions. And then, my dad was kind enough to explain a few things to me very pleasantly, regarding wandering off.

Besides, I feel much better now that I actually know why kids (read babies) keep crying endlessly on flights - their ear canals arent very well developed and hence, cannot balance the air pressure which really hurts them. And before you ask, yes, I'm jobless for the moment :D. And may I ask why comment moderation is inplace?

P.S : If comment moderation is being used, you could atleast turn off word verification, no? typing "szztraow" can be a pain sometimes :P.

Aravindan said...

we all like to be kids always..but then parents also need rest n someone to take up their burden..illa..

that girls r kinda health freaks (read "dieting" )is a known issue..but does that prevent them from devouring pizzas n pastas just becoz some poor guy is burning his pocket for her??

Zeppelin said...

not that I am a health freak :P

interesting experience.. i cant even remember if I had any like that. :)

Taruna said...

@Sriram
:-)... I am not crazy about engines.... it was a one-time thing......
I do know why babies cry.. that wasnt the point.. the point was abt the relation betn kids and parents... :-)
Yes,will turn off word verification!!!

@Ara
Very true... but just wishful thinking...
Oh, common.....you are talking about pocket burning... I need to write episodes abt the other way around!!!

@Zep
:-), thought u wud comment on health freak-ness!!