Monday, August 21, 2006

Deceptive Appearances..

This morning I was supposed to pick up a colleague I have never met and then get to work. I have spoken to him over the phone a couple of times and he is a Puerto Rican. So, I had kinda imagined how he would look.. you know....Caribbean, Spanish..

We had decided to meet out in the parking lot of a building. Thinking I would be able to spot him out in the parking lot, I started. 7.15 am - the crowded parking lot and no sign of Jose. I tried to call him on his cell phone but his Puerto Rican number gave me a busy signal. I waited and waited.. the crowd weeded out.. 7.45 am.. only a handful of people in the parking lot.. a desi-looking 30ish guy, an American and the rest all were Chinks. No sign of a Caribbean guy. Then, at about 8.00 am, the desi looking guy got a phone call.. but his accent when he spoke on the phone was Spanish! That was Jose. I went and confronted him. He totally looked like an Indian. I would have never guessed that he was Jose unless he had talked with his accent. Finally I asked him, he was Indian looking and so I was misled... but how come he didn't approach me since I was the only Indian girl around. He replied, he thought my name sounded similar to Ariana and he was expecting a European or middle Eastern.... I was bowled!!

hmmmm.. anyhow, I would have never thought I would pass for a European or even a middle Eastern.... :-)). I always thought I looked like a typical South Indian girl for that matter!! Appearances are indeed deceptive!!!

6 comments:

Zeppelin said...

a couple years back at the Chicago Greyhound station - an amigo walked up to me and started talking in Spanish !! ssup with that ! :)

Anonymous said...

HaHa...
Am always considered an East Indian- Of Guyanese/Trinidadian - Indian origin.Am brown enuf to be disguised as one among them until i open my mouth !

Prabhu said...

haha LOL :) funny incident...

west indies -la saravanan= sarwan, kanniah - roger kanhai....

reminds me of dhool dialgue - "paati,ipo en peru narayanan illa, naren.."

"ena naraiyo kokko.."

Taruna said...

@Zep
Really?? LOL!!

@Prabhu1
:-) .. most of the time, until the accent shows, we never know!!! Right?

@Prabhu2
ROTFL!! True!! Bayangara database collection vachirukeenga polirukku!!

Anonymous said...

if this was deceptive, what wud happen if you were 2 meet an anonymous character :p

(no idea about name, gender, age, religion, nationality and only known factor are words typed on ur blog ;))

~ir

Taruna said...

@Anonymous
Would be an interesting one.. I guess....