Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Boys will be boys..

Not a lot of times, be it in school or college or work, have I been picked on. A few months back, I was working with a bunch of engineers down at Dallas, TX. Other than a couple from my own company, rest were strangers and I was the only girl and the only one in 20's among them. But the team worked very well together and I never had any trouble until the day of commissioning.

On the fine morning when commissioning was going on in the facility, things started. We were testing some things and suddenly the alarm sounded. It was designed to be a no-man facility and so the alarm sounds as if to wake up an entire town. The first time when the alarm sounded, I was taken aback.. it just happened suddenly without any warning. When the engineers around me saw that I got scared for a second, while some were concerned if I was alright, my colleagues (and good friends) started making fun about how I was just a little girl who gets scared at noises. I let it go. Just a friendly remark and I didn't mind it. We got back to work. After several hours, things were winding down and I was left alone to finish up some stuff in a particular area of the facility and the others were taking off to a different area. I had some trouble with things I was doing and was really concentrating and didn't notice things around me. Then, suddenly the alarm sounded again. I was taken aback and stepped away from the equipment I was working on - my face all scared and red.

I look up at the control room and my colleagues were standing with a camera in their hand and smiling and waving. :-( . I couldn't believe they were picking on me. Some thing that a 10-year boy would do to his classmate in school. In front of a whole bunch of technicians and manufacturing guys, I was being picked on by my 40+ year old colleagues, all being experienced engineers.

I couldn't do anything but just smile and laugh it off. When they realized it didn't have any impact on me, they let it go. But things didn't stop there.. this is one of the most told stories in my office - whenever I am around. Like this week, I am working in San Francisco and one of my colleagues made it a point to let my new colleague who is going to working with me, know that I am scared of alarms.

But.. boys will always be boys...Right?

6 comments:

Syam said...

s s boys are boys always :-)

unga previous post padichen...you spent $170 for hair cut....ithu ellaam romba three four five much...:-)

Zeppelin said...

=)).. and yes boys are boys.. *proud smile*

Prabhu said...

LOL :)
they were videotaping it?
and do u have the video with you?

so, do you keep an alarm to go to work?

Taruna said...

@Syam
last post - one time indulgence... so romba over ellam illa..

@Zep
proud, eh? Thirundave mattanga pasanga...

@Prabhu
Illa, video illa, pictures I have... yes, I keep an alarm to get to work.. .
But the plant alarm doesnt sound anything like that.. its monstrous!!

Sathish said...

mmmm...

Taruna said...

@Sathish

hmmm??