Thursday, August 10, 2006

Escalator and Elevators

I have had several interesting episodes on escalators and elevators. Oh, don't start to imagine things. I will elaborate.

I used to be really scared of escalators. Yes, I still consider myself a Chennai-ite. No, I haven't been to Spencers (well, officially!!). So, the first trip to US was nightmare - not only I had to locate stairs and elevators when everyone else was using the escalators; I also had to drag my small suitcase and carry my heavy jacket! After reaching grad school and seeing that there were no escalators in and around school campus, I was relieved. But my relief was short-lived. After the first week, we had to go and get social security number at the city hall. It was a multi storeyed building with escalators!! My roommate and my TA went with me since they had to get their driving permits. So, while going down on the escalator to the SSN office, I somehow managed by almost fracturing my roommate's hand by holding it too tight. While coming back, the two of them were word tossing. You know, arguing some guy and girl perspective stuff and so forgot that I existed and started going up. I took one look at the escalator and my legs would just not move. I stood down staring at the moving stairs and my friends were already on first level. Then, they started laughing and said they would come down to get me. Meanwhile, this 40-ish American offered me his support for the ordeal. He said his daughter had the same trouble initially. He started asking me questions as to where I came from, where I was studying, etc. Before I knew it, we were talking about things and we were on first level. He had totally distracted me and had almost dragged me along to the first level. Well, after that one time, I grew comfortable to escalators.

In elevators (Lifts), I have met several interesting people in those few moments of transit between floors - like this African-American guy who talked nonstop for 10 min about unionization of elevator operators in 1970's, the American named Smith something who said how engineers did a bad job building the Indiana university library (the library is sinking over an inch every year because of the weight of the books present, which wasn't originally taken into consideration) right after I told him I was an engineer :-(, the lady who described in short how to choose earrings based on mood/dress, etc when she saw the hoop I was wearing that day, lots of discussions about Colts, White Sox, Chicago Bulls and Bears, F-1, NASCAR, ....not that I understood all or some of it, but atleast kindled my inquisitiveness to know more about it...

8 comments:

Zeppelin said...

and you are not afraid of flying ?? :)

Sriram said...

Best way to deal with it : Pretend like you have claustrophobia and act in a such a way that the person with you in the elevator should think you are gonna freak out any second! :D

Harini said...

Egxatly!!
I always rope in someone to climb stairs with me .. I am also Soo scared of escalars ..The travelling part itself is okay and maybe even fun .. But stepping up and stepping out is such a tension ... :-D

Adaengappa !! said...

Ah !
I had this experience during my IELTS exams here. One of the Qns was about the lift. This canadian lady has never heard this word and was puzzled by the Qn. After the test session,she asked me if both meant the same ?!
(Sure we knew British English,and American equivalent..LOL)

Aravindan said...

hey! last time i went to chennai silks, i din dare step on these hallowed escalators..

Taruna said...

@Zep
No.. not usually..

@Sriram
:-).. will try it sometime and let you know how it goes!!

@Harini
Exactly.... thats how I USED to be too!! Its much better now...

@Adaengappa
:-))

@Ara
You mean, you are still scared ?? even now??

Aravindan said...

i never use the escalator in airports till date

Taruna said...

@Ara
:-) .. learn man.... its not as tough as strategic brand management or corporate finance!!