Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Why I had to learn?

Little did I realize when I graduated from undergrad that I was going to do more learning, later in life than what I had done till then. Like for instance, about cars.

I never meddled a lot with cars or bikes. As long as I can reach my destination with minimal effort I was alright. Theoretically, just the basics that everyone learns in school were my extent of knowledge on cars too. When I started working that just wasn't enough. Other than just another girl, all engineers in my office were men. Which meant - all the conversations were at some point focused upon nothing but cars - engines, balancing, size of cylinders, wheels shafts, torques, make and model, European parts for American cars and what not? Initially I just used to listen and not chip in. But then, things got interesting once when someone asked about indigenous Indian cars and their manufacturers. I drew a blank!! That night, I started learning.

So now I know why its comparatively difficult to balance an odd-numbered engine-cylinder like in Maruti 800 series ( three cylindered), can visualize (well, most of the time...) the power of an engine when someone states its hp or watt, effect of V-6/V-8 engines, torques on bikes and their associated weight factor, etc.

But now, things have changed slightly...blame it on gas prices and other inflation.... The major topic of discussion nowadays is investments, equities, assets, property ownership, funds, etc. Although I know the basic terminology and can probably hold my fort for about 10-15 minutes, after that, its back to blank. So, time to start my new lessons on finance and investments!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Zeppelin said...

cool !! so you will be the blog-world financial advisor eh ? ;)

dinesh said...

Torques on bikes ? Associated weight factors ? Wow..that sure seems like a lot of learning !

Good luck with finance and investments. I had that on my to-do list as well some time back and started to do some learning too. But it slowly lost priority and it's going to wait its turn to get back on the list :).

Here's an article by a friend for novices.

http://kamalshah.blogspot.com/2005/06/money-investing.html?SID=c80c5a8b5a09c01b37b21dfc19d9b823

Taruna said...

@Zep
Financial Advisor alavukku, I will not be learned...... but no harm in trying for the basics, right?

@Dinesh
Thanks! But actually not much... just the basics to keep a conversation afloat..

You have a list of things to learn? Good..

Will go thro' the article sometime..thanx!