Friday, July 14, 2006

Intolerable Embarrassment

There were a very few times in the past when I have been really embarrassed. Any day, this incident tops!!

It was in 1996. After a long time, my parents along with my cousins and grandma went to a Hindi movie, in the theater. My cousins were older than I was, barely by a year. We couldn't get continuous seats and so we split in groups of two. My parents sat in one end of a row and I sat with my grandma and cousins at the other end of the same row. My cousins were a riot. Both were born and brought up in Bombay and had come to Chennai just a few years back. So, one of the them was the official translator for my grandma. The movie started. Everything was fine until this particular scene comes onscreen - Karishma and Aamir standing under a tree in the rain and you know what happens next. I DON'T KNOW WHAT HAPPENED NEXT since my grandma just shoved her hands to my face and closed my eyes. Reason - I was too young to see a couple kissing on the movie screen. My cousins were roaring with laughter. Considering the typical crowd on a Friday in a Hindi movie theater in Chennai (all youngsters..), I felt everyone around me who wasn't really into the movie was laughing at me. Probably not. But my two cousins loud laughter were enough to get enough attention. I turned red with anger and embarrassment. To top it, I was really upset with my grandma and asked her about it when I got home. She just brushed me off saying that unlike my cousins I was naive and innocent to see or know about some stuff!!! I wanted to scream out loud - innocent, naive, me - What am image have I created in my grandma's head? I never thought that I was an innocent kid, definitely not after high school.

Anyhow, till this day, I cannot forget what my grandma did!!!

10 comments:

Prabhu said...

LOL!!!!!!
That would top any list of intolerable embarrassment.

I belv u wuld have seen the movie again in cassette/dvd without ur grandma ;)

dinesh said...

LOL...Paavam !

Idhaan Indian system la oru kashtam. Learning too much too early kkum, learning things when necessary kkum seriyaana distinction illaama poiduthu parents and Grand parents kku. Pirkaalathla neraya kashtangal pada vendi irukku :)

Vinod Ramamoorthy said...

Paati Sollai Thattade :D ... But inda matter la U can :)...

Aravindan said...

i pity ur paati..how cud she ever think u cud be this innocent?? btw, i m stilll that innocent peran in my paati's eyes..

Taruna said...

@Prabhu
:-) Tell me about it! No, I havent seen the movie yet after that once!

@Dinesh
Pirkalathula kashtangal... right!!

@Vinod
:-)...

@Ara
Its just all Patti's who think the kids are innocent.... btw, unna compare panrachey naan innum innocent than!!

Aravindan said...

nee innocent..compared to me?
nallathuku kaalam illai..

Keeth said...

Shall I talk to ur grandma.... I think I know you better... you and naive...pls...

Taruna said...

@Ara
Konjam Akshadai... :-)

@Keerthi
Oh, common.. this was way back in 1996.. now ofcourse she knows better...

Anonymous said...

funny :p
just 4 a sec thought wat wud b ur grandma's reaction, if u had taken the initiative and closed her eyes :)) rotfl ;)

~ir

Taruna said...

@Magesh
:-).. good that you werent there in the next row watching this.. you would have never forgotten it or let me forget the incident..

Nope, after that one time, I have never been to a movie with my family!

@Anonymous
:-)).... interesting thought!!