Thursday, July 06, 2006

How to react?

Two people that I knew (not too-well though) from grad school got married recently. I met the happy couple and wished them a happy married life at a gathering in my friend's place. I was stuck with small-talking to the bride for a few minutes by myself. I had framed a few questions in my mind if such a thing was to occur but was just not prepared well enough. I ask her the usual first question.

"So, how's the married life treating you?"

She replies - " Its great! I don't have to drive anywhere anymore."

Are you kidding me? After this answer I didn't know how to proceed with my other questions. It was a love marriage and so I had expected the bride to be all happy and excited. But this is what I got from her. Of all the things in a married life, the first thing that came to her mind was driving a car? People...

Just when you pride yourself on being able to understand the psyche of a person, you meet a relative stranger and get baffled!!

10 comments:

Zeppelin said...

'i dont have to drive a car anymore' =))

poor dude.. ;)

BZ said...

LOL Taruna.
From a married woman's perspective.. I think she literally doesnt mean just that, esp if they are just married :--)
I think she was just trying to be funny, or something.

When K went to NY for a couple of weeks, I went around telling people, 'I dont know who will do my laundary' but of course, it was more that that I missed him.

Err...all this is assuming you friend is like me. :--)

Taruna said...

@Zep
Oh, he is no better.....I think they deserve each other and will are perfectly good together....

Back at grad school, he used to insist that he was the most unromantic person there ever was...

:-)

@Saranya
I hope so - that she literally didnt mean it... but for a few seconds there I could not come up with a quick retort...

Prabhu said...

You should have replied - "Adhuku maasa sambalathuku oru driver vachundu irukalaame".

Again, it took 1 min for me to come up with this, even I wouldnt have known how to react to this!!

I guess, in a love marriage, not many things change after marriage.

dinesh said...

Funny ! I wouldn't have known how to react as well.

But agree with saranya there. I don't know them personally, so it's easier for me to give her the benefit of the doubt.Am not able to take what she said, literally. Sure she has lesser driving to do, but there has to be a bigger driving force there :)

Ram said...

people get married for different reasons. they expect their better half to do some things for them, things they need to do but dont necessarily enjoy doing. well...

Aravindan said...

was talking to an aussie guy in the camp..the conclusion was sth close to ur last line in this post..will tell later..

D LordLabak said...

ha ha :-)

Taruna said...

@Prabhu
Dont you think that kind of reply would have made me look rude..if she had meant it literally??
Maybe you are right.. not a lot of things change after a love marriage....

@Dinesh
With you - on the bigger driving force...

@Ram
Yes, maybe you are right too....but to put it on the top of the list... just makes one wonder..

@hoping4more
:-) Intoxicated and unable to respond, eh?? Wishful thinking..

Taruna said...

@Ara
Enna conclusion?? Aussie guy, I thought u were going to Manali, illa?

@Deepa
:-)