Tuesday, October 10, 2006

World with WOMEN

For the first time after a long time I am working with a whole bunch of women. I used to be the only (privileged) girl among my peers at work for the last two years. Now, since I joined a bigger firm, there's all these departments residing in the same office building and so a lot of women around - accounting, legal, sales and ads, payroll, HR, etc. So, the environment is kinda different than what I had gotten used to. Not a lot of conversation floating around with 'just' taxes, investments, Bush, Peyton Manning, cars and bikes. Especially in the cafeteria and break room, conversations are really weird - you know, good weird and not mundane. Now, I don't go to the break room often. But when I do go, I accidentally overhear stuff that gets me thinking.

Not being too much of a girly girl, I used to think people in accounting, rather women in accounting, payroll, etc were not too exciting like women engineers... but looks like I was wrong. There's this 40ish lady in accounting who comes to work in a Harley (you know, a motor bike) and so has all sorts of stories about that - how bike riders often don't like a woman to ride alongside with them in the Southern parts of the country, the accidents she has been thro' and such exciting stuff. Then, there's this HR lady who used to work for Ford and so has stories about various car manufacturers, how they try to bid and buy out people with patents for a better and efficient engines and other car parts, etc. Although she used to work just with HR, her stories have more life in them than whatever the newspapers tell about the layoffs at GM/Ford or elsewhere.

Ofcourse, amidst all this conversations, there's a little bit of gossip which goes around, talk about who's wearing what today, do the accessories really match the outfit, the whole ensemble, family and children and other worthwhile things.

World is definitely a more interesting place with "SOME" women!! Isn't it??

Update: Seeing beyond my limited vision (after going thro' the comments), I do agree that the world is a better place to live in bcoz of SOME (like ME.... grrr....) and not ALL women!!!

5 comments:

Aravindan said...

i m not sure if women make it interesting..but i guess u will have a very steep learning curve when it comes to life....

ur exposure level is getting just too high ( i m jealous)

Zeppelin said...

too much of a broad generalization...am not sure if 'women' make the world interesting..

some do and the others...well..they have all the others wishing they weren't born...:P and that is true with people in general..sex no bar..

for example...with my ex-boss(ahem) i can talk anything and even among the ladies in our team they chat about a lot of things..(sometimes even in my presence ;)) ..AND THEN there is this colleague (desi) who has a li'l boy at home.. and all she can talk about is what she does at home and how she takes care of him..thats fine.. but i dont need to know all that she has to tell me about her kid! ugh!!!

and I did not make this up just to get back at you.. but its my honest opinion.. :) :P

Zeppelin said...

hmmm.. "women" was BETTER ! :P atleast distantly acceptable.. :PPPPPPPP

Vinod Ramamoorthy said...

Interesting people I would say make life interesting.Be it men or women.Its amazing how much veriety there is when it comes to people's character.Its as different as our finger prints!!

Taruna said...

@Vinod
Ofcourse, I concur. But these women I work with make life interesting during the 8 hrs I spend in the office. :-).. with little quips, gossips, advises, what not!!!