Friday, October 20, 2006

Diwali Reminiscence

Can't believe its already the fifth Diwali that I am missing, by not being at home in Madras!

But, instead of cribbing about it, I thought I will jot down some stuff that has happened on Diwali along the years!

** The best Diwali's have been after we got our dog. He is scared so much of crackers, noise and the whole Diwali thing. The fun starts weeks before Diwali when the first cracker is burst in the neighborhood. I wish I knew what exactly goes in his mind when he hears sound of crackers bursting. He goes wacko and starts running around the house like crazy, goes to the terrace, runs up and down the stairs and whatever comes in his way goes flying in every possible direction. So, during the season, we try to minimalize the things on his level so that everything stays out of his way when he gets a little unsecured or whatever. Then, on Diwali day he gets so confused when everyone wakes up early and mess up his sleep schedule. So, usually during the season, he hangs out with my dad almost all the time, (like a kai-kozhandhai) who calms him everytime there is some noise and tries to carry him around whenever he is too scared. The only good time he has during Diwali is up his nostril with the smell of Mysurpa,burfi and eatables prepared at home. He tries to stay in the kitchen as much as possible, especially when the ghee is being melted during the finishing stages of Mysurpa. :-). Oh, he also like the scrapes off of the Mysurpa pan and tries to get in line with me for the scrappy pieces!

** Sometime when I was in high school, my maternal grandparents used to live a couple of streets away in Madras. So, after the initial hub-bub of Diwali....the initial burst of energy and crackers, I took my uncle's scooty to visit them! Ofcourse I was never scared of driving on Diwali day. But this one time, with new dress and everything, I started driving and enroute, I drove over some kind of bomb(you know, the hydrogen or atom bomb cracker) and just as it burst, the tire went flat and I was thrown off the vehicle a few feet away on my face. I don't remember the complete aftermath. But I completely ruined my dress and probably loosened a tooth or two. But that didn't stop me from my destination. The scooty was still in good condition apart from a few paint rips! So, I went to my grandpa's place after all this and almost gave him a severe shock with bloody tooth and scratches all over! After that one incident, I don't think I EVER drove anywhere alone on Diwali day.

Wishing everyone a very HAPPY DIWALI!!!!

3 comments:

Aravindan said...

hey! tell u what..i vechified a saram this time..it stopped bursting midway..i thot it was to be relit..i moved the saram with hand n put it on the floor the other way n it again started bursting immediately..i was kinda shiocked..n escpaed unhurt..n yeah..pant koncham posungi poiduthu in another separate event..but it was a memorable diwali..naraya bakshanam irukku aathula..u want me to fed ex..? ;-) btw, i missed ur call (i guess it was u ..at 11.20 pm ur time) ..sent my new mobile no in a yahoo offliner..

Belated Diwali wishes

Prabhu said...

Road-a paakaamaa, paraaku paathundu ponaa adhu thaan nadakum :)

Wow, that dog description was nice...he likes mysoorpa- vitta side-la idly/chutney kekkum pola irukke..

Taruna said...

@Ara
Yeah.. heard about your dare devil incidents!!

@Prabhu
yeah yeah...lesson learnt after that accident and ofcourse, my dog is the best!!