Sunday, October 15, 2006

Berry-blasted Vendakkai Sambar

The company I currently work for has a whole bunch of projects for a firm that manufactures amino acids and in turn a variety of high-energy drinks, nutrition bars, protein/nutrition powder and such stuff. So, the client often sends us a box of the products. Being a new employee, I was given a bunch of the stuff early last week to get a feel for the manufacturing unit. A colleague was suggesting that since the protein powder was flavorless and tasteless, I could just add it to whatever I cook.

Taking her advise, later last week, when I was making Vendakkai Sambar, I thought about health,losing weight and such trivia and added scoops of the protein powder to the sambar. I left the stove in low flame and went to run some errands. After a while, I come back home to something I had not anticipated.

I come back to my apartment only to find the entire apartment smelling of berries. With the air-conditioner running, things came back to normal and so I didn't investigate the berry smell further. Then, when I actually started eating, I realized what had happened. The powder was tasteless. But it had been berry-flavored. When the powder is mixed with a drink or any other substance, whatever reaction occurs releases the berry flavor. :-). Although my sambar didn't taste any different, it smelt totally like berry. So,that's about the berry-blasted Vendakkai Sambar.

Talk about innovation and this way I got my protein and nutrition (from the dal/vegetables in the sambar). Ofcourse, the first time was just by accident and so doesn't actually count as an innovation. So, henceforth, I am going to try and add it to whatever I eat and maybe in awhile I will get used to the smell..... as long as I get the nutrition, the flavor should not matter. Right??

6 comments:

Zeppelin said...

shoot..now I have to look from nice restaurants in the nearby area.. :(

Zeppelin said...

errr.typo 'from'.. i was doin a little crack for lunch.. :P

dinesh said...

Ha ! Berry blasted vendakkai sambar..novel idea..Vera edhula ellam andha protein powder a add panne ? Results eppdi vandhudhunu konjam sonnaa...engalukkum vasadhiya irukkum. Thank you :)

Sriram said...

Ah!! Kitchen disasters... good times, except that they keep happening everytime! Enna panradhu? Ellam vidhi seyyum sadhi. :P

Sriram said...

And our question a few posts back - "whereabouts are you now" remains unanswered.. and i wonder why! :P :D

(No, I'm not going to stalk you!, honest! Really!)

Taruna said...

@Zep
Mean mean boys!!! I was just experimenting and it was totally palpable!!

@Dinesh
I almost add a little protein powder to everything.. but its tasteless and so never gave trouble!!

@Sriram
No disaster... was honestly good..