Sunday, April 30, 2006

Remembering the past -1

Was reminiscing the sweet-nothings about childhood, school and college days - good old days with no money-worry, staying with parents, happy outings, nothing too stressful like, to jolt some of them down...Mom's filter coffee, Mom's singing and slokams, elaborate Sunday family lunch with pearl-onion sambar and potato curry, Ragavendra temple in T Nagar, December Carnatic music concerts, Crazy Mohan and SV Shekhar dramas, Mom's vetha-kozhambu, British Council library, Marina, Venkataramana Boli Stall, Adyar Grand Snacks, Higginbothams, electric train rides with my dad on Sundays when he drops me off at railway station to go to college, last minute packing for college, crashing my dad's car in my neighbor's fence, first time my parents bought me a computer, carnatic music classes - practice sessions before concerts/competitions, Sunday evenings with my friend N discussing about future and such stuff in the terrace, shopping at Nilgiris, Woodlands drive-in at Cathedral Road (which is crappy nowadays, but when I was a kid, it was really the place to be for families on Sundays right after Marina beach), reading any novel that I can lay hands on and sitting on the sofa reading it all day without even moving an inch unaware of what happens around me, every single minute spent with my maternal grandparents, playing with my great-grandmother when she was alive and kicking, shopping in T Nagar and Mambalam with my paternal grandmother, first few weeks with my dog (he became Dennis the Menace after the first few days...), any kind of swing (oonjals) anywhere, first elevator ride....

I wish I could go back in time... but not be a child actually, just enjoy these things being an adult. Well, actually since its wishing, might as well wish to be able to go back and forth ..I would not want to miss the present events like... long drives, first snow..a bliss everytime, road trips with friends, talking to some ever-dependable friends, Tiramisu, proud self-cooking and trying to compare it to my mom's, shopping for shoes,...somebody stop me!!

4 comments:

Aravindan said...

oh! this is first part only! sec part u will reminisce abt ur US life when u wd have returned to india....will that be?

Taruna said...

@Aravindan
Maybe...got to wait and see...

Zeppelin said...

oh my god !! "sunday pearl-onion sambar and potato curry" ... man !!! never knew it is this famous ! :)

strange coincidence.. http://musicpaithiyam.blogspot.com/2005/04/sunday-evening-nostalgia.html

cheers!

Taruna said...

@Zepp

Just checked out your post... Boli and Masal Vadai from Venkatarama - my fav...